As a mother I am required to say this, but my daughter has a wonderful full and mature singing voice. However, she refuses to use it. The children's choir director has pursued her. The music teacher gave her a solo at the yearly performance. The P.E. and Art teacher have tried to inspire her, but still she won't sing.
I feel the desire is there, but she is scared of being exceptional. She likes to blend in and she hates being the center of attention. While other kids are listening to Justin Beiber she is listening to Wicked and Cats. We visit our local Orpheum theater frequently.
Recently an opportunity came that I would not let her pass on. There is a local choir that has travelled the globe and been invited to the White House by Bush and Clinton for the national tree lighting. It is a very good group of children that not only perform, but learn proper technique and receive vocal instruction along the way. I made her audition. The director said she was blown away by the quality of her voice. My daughter refuses to do this, but I am making her.
She has few interests and no extracurriculars. I have never forced her to do anything, but it has just turned her into a lazy, non-trying, under-achieving child. This is a great opportunity to build confidence and foster her natural ability. I am forcing her into this.
We went to the first rehearsal and she refused to go in. Once coaxed in she refused to participate and gave evil stares to the director. She stormed out afterwards pointed at me and said, "You are no longer my mother." Then she stormed to the car. It really shouldn't be this stressful. I do feel it is necessary to get her out of her comfort zone. She is a very smart talented child, but she will vastly limit herself with this attitude.
We did get a call from the director about the disrespect toward her and myself. This is a honor choir and this behavior is not tolerated. She talked to my daughter and they have agreed to give it three more tries.
Because of past abuse (paternal grandfather) and frequent abandonment by her father she has really high defenses and trust issues. She has a really hard time letting go and enjoying herself. I really want her to try this. I think she will like it once she lets her walls down. She can't go her whole life never trying anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment